"Amarillo By Morning..."

soon on our way...Home or Bust!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 4 Ogallala, NE and Going West

"Hooome, home on the range, where the deer and the ANTELOPE play..." saw our first antelope today from a distance, sure we'll see many more, but it was a thrill.
Been a day full of Emotion! First, as we were leaving for our western side trip of the "Western Trails Scenic and Historic Byway" our truck showed no oil pressure. Added oil, no luck. Nursed the truck back to campsite, hopefully to find a diesel mechanic that might be open on Sunday. No such thing in Ogallala. Pretty much decided that we would go no where today! Started thinking, and did some searching on the internet. Found a website called askford.com...you can put in questions to Ford diesel mechanics and they will answer them. Believe it or not, found out what was wrong and how to fix it with pictures included for only a $9.00 fee!! We were back ready to roll by 11:40! Meanwhile I got a call from my sister, Dorothy, telling me that my Aunt Dorothy Mae Scott MacLean had passed away at 1 AM. She has put up a valiant fight against the cancer that invaded and destroyed her body. I must say that I have been shedding tears through out the day, but know that she is in a mansion in heaven with her beloved Mac!
Other than the morning drama, the day was good! We traveled the Western trail that ran along the path of the Oregon Trail, Mormon Trail, Pony Express, fur traders, and the '49ers. Talk about an area full of history! I have always thought of myself as somewhat of a Southern Bell, or an adventurous Pioneer Woman, but after today's history lesson, I think I will give up that thought of the pioneer woman! What those emigrants endured! We followed the North Platte River Valley for the 155 mile journey, stopping several times along the way. Between 1842 and 1859 it is estimated that 20,000 emigrants died along the trail, or about 1 in every 10! We explored several of the landmarks the pioneers used to find the route to the west...Courthouse Rock, Jail House Rock, Chimney Rock and Scott's Bluff were the most interesting. Will post some pictures of these too! The Platte river is unlike any I have ever seen, with many little islands here and there through the river. But, it does look like it is moving a good clip. We are going through the Sand Hills tomorrow on our way to South Dakota!
Ogallala means, "to scatter one's own" from the Oglala Sioux Indian tribe as my friend Paula reminded me! We taught about those Indians together in Calallen! Thanks Paula! Phil thinks Ogallala means something else, "too many flies"! We have seen more flies here! Also, another first on my list...I think I have seen my first Cherry tree planted in front of 2 different small town courthouses around here, full of cherries not quite ripe. I asked a lady at a convenience store if it was in fact a cherry tree, and she had no idea! Can you believe that? Should have taken a picture...duh!
One thing that Nebraska has on Texas...they have the most beautiful Historical Markers on the roadsides! They are LARGE enough to easily read, painted a beautiful blue, with the print easy to read, with a beautifully painted white and gold medallion. And...they all have turn outs to make them easy to get to! We stopped at many today as our route was extremely historical!
Guess I will close for now...and about my usual closing---after talking to Jeremy today, some of you may not even begin to know where it comes from...you must listen to Garrison Keillor, a humorist that reports the news of his fictional boyhood town, Lake Woebegon, Michigan and always closes with, "so that is the news from Lake Woebegon, where the women are all strong, the men are all handsome, and all the children are above average." They are fabulously funny! We listened to one of his audio books on the way up here. So, with that explanation I'll close for now...that is the news from McCamper, where the women are NOT so strong today (except she knows how to fix a diesel truck from the internet!!), the men are still moderately handsome, and of course the children are all above average, and their momma misses them all!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Duellen!
    I am learning so much from your traveling history lessons. Your photos are wonderful, too. I know today was rough, but you really did good by finding a way to fix the truck--ROCK ON! I'm sure Phil was thankful for your quick-thinking...your computer has come in handy for more reasons than one. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lisa...you are terrific--I love getting comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting stuff. Post more pictures for us Aggies who struggle with big words.

    ReplyDelete