"Amarillo By Morning..."

soon on our way...Home or Bust!

Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 2 Oklahoma to Kansas

"Goin' to Kansas City....Kansas City here I come!" --except we are NOT going to Kansas City, but this was the only Kansas song I could think of!
If you live and drive in Texas, you should be very, very proud of your roads and highways. Up here, some places, not so great! Lots of bumps and dips, but the camper is really riding nicely!
This morning as we drove from Oklahoma City towards Kansas, "the winds WERE sweeping down the plains", straight against us....9 miles a gallon is tough! But the day couldn't have been more pleasant, cool, slightly cloudy so it wasn't too bright. I did like the rest of Oklahoma that we traveled through, much nicer than I expected, after hearing reports from many about how boring and barren Oklahoma was before we left Texas--must be some of that OU rivalry coming through. Reading a short synopsis of each town as we drove through, I discovered that many of these towns were established in 1 day, some becoming populated by 20,000 people in one single day in a tent city on the plains! and this was how town after town got started! I had no conception of what the Land Rush must have been like---except from watching the movie "Far and Away"--Tom Cruise, Nicole Kiddman, directed by Ron Howard--great movie by the way! But, as a friend reminded me--the poor Indians!
I liked the looks of Kansas too. We got off the interstate and headed down a scenic route for much of our drive this morning. Ran across beautiful fields of sunflowers, my favorite flower--as many of you who have seen my laundry room can attest to! Stopped on the side of a small road and took pictures...but alas, the sun was still in the East, and the flowers were turned away from us. Wish I had been brave enough to troop out into the field, but worried about snakes!
Thanks to my friend Mary Alice we took a side trip to Lindsborg, KS. I am so delighted we did! Thanks Mary Alice! The town is called "Little Sweden USA", and was a wonderful stop. Had the most delicious homemade chicken/noodle casserole for lunch! All around the town are large hand painted Wild Dalas (carved wooden horses painted in the traditional Swedish folk art style). They are all over town, painted in different ways. We visited a few shops and talked to the locals learning some of the history of the area. Phil really bonded with the man who owned the clock shop, "Ye Old Clock Shop" and promised to send him his Dad's old clock parts! The man was delighted and said that the parts would be put to good use, as his mission was to teach young folks about antique clocks---someone has to continue the care and repair!
After our extended stop in Lindsborg, we headed on north up I 135 past Salina, KS, and then West on I 70 to our RV park--setting up about 4:30. We are both pooped so we are staying in tonight, eating cheese, crackers and onions for dinner (Phil's favorite!) Long drive tomorrow across Kansas and then up to Ogallala, NE---wonder if I'll run in to Gus or Capt. Call there? I do love Lonesome Dove and I guess that is the Ogallala they refer to in the book or movie, if not, I'm going to pretend it is!
So, that is the news from the McC Road Trip, where the women are strong, the men handsome and all the children above average, and still at home!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you two are having a great time! I love the sound of Lindsborg. Sounds like a neat city to walk around. Love reading your updates. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun reading about your travels. Your posts will be cool printed out for your scrapbooking journaling...you're so ahead of the game, right??

    Sounds like you're really enjoying yourselves--what a fun trip! Last night Waller had its grand opening of the new stadium--it was amazingly HUGE! They also had a Multi-class reunion that was fun at the little shell station bar after the game. It continues tonight at the Fairgrounds...20 year reunion next year for me...whoa!

    ReplyDelete